Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Mind Your Business

I'm a wimp - I don't like running in winter weather.  I don't mind the cold in the air, but it's the combination of cold + rain + 20 mph winds + occasional hail + heavy snow that I don't like.  While the temps are still pretty warm for November in Indiana, the rain and early dark nights settled in this week, forcing me to the gym.

I'm unlike most runners - I don't overly mind the treadmill.  Sure, I would prefer to be outside, but I don't hate the "dreadmill" as much as many other runners do.  Give me a basketball game or ESPN to watch, and my headphones, and I'm good to go.  And yes, I am "that guy" who sings along with the music.  Hopefully nobody hears me....

But I do have one pet peeve at the gym:

Why do people around me think that's true?  If I am running, I have a purpose - maybe it is speed that day, but it could be some long/slow miles, or maybe just an easy day altogether.  Tonight, I had runners on both sides of me watching my treadmill board more than their own.  And when I bumped it up due a speed part, they would too.  Immediately.  Look, if you want to race me, just say so, and we can make that happen.  In the meantime, relax, enjoy YOUR run, and stop staring at MY screen.

Left, right, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment